Big Sky As Seen From Uplands Trail | Photo: D. Lennon
Will you visit Big Sky this summer? We hope so. It's one of the best places to spend your summer holidays because there are so many things to do. In fact, Big Sky easily offers a lifetime (or two) of cool things to do - and many of those things are totally FREE!
Yes you read that right. There are plenty of FREE things to do in Big Sky this summer. That's what is so great about our little outdoor paradise. Big Sky is surrounded by open land that beckons people to get outdoors and explore. It's kind of like nature's amusement park, except that all access is free.
If you're looking for free things to do in Big Sky this summer, here's a list to get you started:
- Music In The Mountains - Listen to live music at free outdoor summer concerts every Thursday night in Town Center.
- Hiking - Explore an endless trail system throughout the mountains around Big Sky.
- Peak Bagging - There are mountains in every direction. Go and stand on top of peak and get a different perspective of Big Sky.
- Big Sky Farmers Market - Every Wednesday come and see the goods and products produced by Montana locals.
- Big Sky Skatepark - Test your skating skills at the Big Sky Community Park.
- Float The Madison River - Grab an inner tube, shuttle a car, and ride down Mother Nature's lazy Madison River.
- Disc Golf- Grab your frisbee golf discs and test your disc golf skills on Bighorn Ridge.
- Backpacking/Camping - There are plenty of places to explore. Grab your backpack and see where the old heel toe express can take you.
- Rafting/Kayaking - If you're a fan of whitewater, bring your boat and go for a float.
- Rock Climbing - Big Sky is home to some of the best rock climbing around. Whether you want to climb sport or trad, Big Sky has got you covered.
- Fishing - Big Sky is a fly fishing mecca. Find out what flies to cast and go explore the hundreds of miles of trout waters in Big Sky country.
- Biking - Road biking, cross country biking, downhill biking, or just plain cruising. You can find all sorts of two wheel options in Big Sky.
- Wildlife Spotting - We share our backyard with some of the biggest animals around. See if you can spot a moose, bear, bighorn sheep, or any other animal.
Disc Golf | BSCO
Now let's be totally honest, you won't be able to do some of these activities without the right gear. And that initial investment (either rental or purchase) in outdoor gear (bikes, bear spray, fishing licenses, etc.) will cost money, but after you're invested in your outdoor passions, you're adventures are free and will supply endless amounts of fun. Trust us. We're hooked!
If you need any gear while you're in Big Sky, head to one of Big Sky's conveniently located outdoor retailers:
Be sure to share your Big Sky adventures on social media with #visitbigsky so we can share your #montanamoments with Big Sky fans near and far!
We know you'll have fun doing free things in Big Sky. See you out there!