Visit Big Sky is a 501(c)(6) nonprofit membership organization.
As the community’s official destination management and marketing organization, VBS leads the development and marketing of authentic tourism experiences through research and stakeholder collaboration to grow Big Sky’s economy while balancing the need to sustain quality of life for its residents.
Visit Big Sky promises to work collaboratively with our tourism partners and community stakeholders to lead us out of this collectively. We will Rise Up yet again and be stronger than ever. #Rise[Up]BigSky. To learn more, click here.
Help Protect Our Public Health
MONTANA AWARE is statewide effort to slow the spread of COVID-19 by promoting safety measures for those traveling in the state. We are committed to protecting the health of residents and visitors, and ask that you do the same.
What We’re Asking You to Do
If you’re planning to travel through Montana, please:
- Know the local public health guidelines before arriving at your destination
- Understand some services and destinations may be limited
- Stay home if you are sick
In Montana, it’s important to:
- Wear a mask
- Maintain social distance (at least 6 ft. apart)
- Wash your hands and use hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your face
- Cover coughs and sneezes
Big Sky Save Small Business Relief Fund
Big Sky Chamber of Commerce as the Voice of business, and Visit Big Sky, in partnership with the Big Sky Resort Area District (BSRAD) are launching the Big Sky Save Small Business Relief Fund to provide a lifeline to many failing small businesses.
The two organizations, with the BSRAD’s approval, have reallocated $210,000, from their FY20 allocations to provide for micro grants of $2,500 for businesses with 1-5 employees and $5,000 to businesses with 6-20 employees, operating within the BSRAD boundary. Applications will be accepted beginning Friday, May 1st at 9 am through Wednesday, May 6th at 5 pm.
Grant awards will be announced on Thursday, May 7th at 1:30 pm. In anticipation of the need exceeding the amount of funds available, businesses to receive grants will be selected by lottery.
Visit Big Sky's 3rd Annual Marketing Outlook Meeting
During National Travel and Tourism Week, VBS celebrated the “Spirit of Travel” and the value it holds for our local economy, our businesses big and small, their employees, and our residents by hosting a webinar with 2 special guests! Cam Sholly, Superintendent of Yellowstone, and Taylor Middleton, President and COO of Big Sky Resort, discussed the COVID-19 impacts, how they are looking to overcome those, and what to expect in the future. You can listen to a recording of this meeting here! The Powerpoint slides are available here!
COVID-19 Partner Updates
#MaskUpMT as of July 15, 2020, the Montana Governor, Steve Bullock, mandated the use of face coverings in indoor spaces open to the public and certain organized outdoor activities. Read the full mandate here.
As of June 1, Governor Bullock moves Montana into Phase Two of the Reopening the Big Sky plan. This includes the reopening of the Montana gates to Yellowstone national park along with lifting the 14-day out of state travel self-quarantine. Read more on phase two here.
The April 22 Directive from Governor Bullock outlines the plans for the phased reopening of Montana. The current stay-at-home order has been extended for individuals until Sunday, April 26 and for non-essential businesses until Monday, April 27 (excluding bar and restaurant closures, which are extended to May 4).
The March 30 Directive that stated travelers arriving from another state or country to Montana for non-work-related purposes undergo a 14-day self-quarantine has been lifted beginning on June 1. For travelers arriving at any Montana airport and rail station, temperature checks and screenings for potential exposure history may be conducted by the Montana National Guard to further protect against the spread of COVID-19. For the full Directive, click here.
- Montana Office of Tourism and Business Development | MOTBD - Tourism Partner COVID-19 Resource Page
- Yellowstone Country Tourism Region - Travel Updates
CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security) Act
- US Travel Association – COVID-19 CARES Act Relief and Resources
- Yellowstone National Park | National Park Service Operational Updates
For additional BUSINESS RESOURCES and COMMUNITY UPDATES go to www.bigskychamber.com/communityupdates
Research & Analytics Companies
- ADARA – Resource Center
- Arrivalist – Daily Travel Index
- DestiMetrics - March 60 Day Retail Report for Big Sky
- Destination Analysts – Update on Coronavirus’ Impact on American Travel - Weekly
- ITRR - Institute for Tourism & Recreation Research
- Longwoods International: COVID-19 and Travel Sentiment Survey
- MMGY – US Travel Association Travel Intentions Pulse Survey (TIPS) Impact of COVID-19
- Oxford Economics – Brand USA ROI: The Economic Impact of Coronavirus Due to Travel Losses (2020 Analysis)
- Sojern - Travel Industry
- STR – Hotel News: STR Hotel Industry Impact
- Tourism Economics
- TTRA Tourism and Travel Research Association – COVID-19 Travel and Tourism Research Resources
Public Organizations & Associations
- U.S. Travel Association – Emergency Preparedness and Response: Coronavirus toolkit
- National Travel and Tourism Week (NTTW), May 3-9, the annual celebration of the contributions and accomplishments of the U.S. travel industry, will spotlight resilience and hope in the face of the coronavirus pandemic with this year's theme: The Spirit of Travel.
- Brand USA - Coronavirus Updates
- Destination Development Association – COVID-19 Special Presentation
- Destinations International - Updates and Resources
- American Hotel & Lodging Association - Resource Center
- Montana Lodging and Hospitality Association - Resource Center
- National Restaurant Association - Resource Center
- European Travel Commission - COVID-19 Measures
- World Travel & Tourism Council - Members Hub
- UNWTO – The United Nations World Tourism Organization
- Global Sustainable Tourism Council - Resources