5 Kid Friendly Hikes In Big Sky
Looking for the best backyard ever for your kids to explore during your next family vacation? Meet Big Sky, MT! Everywhere you look there are towering mountains ready to climb, wild animals, thick forests perfect for hide-and-seek, beautiful wildflowers to smell, flowing rivers for a quick dip and endless outdoor wonders. With a good attitude and open imagination, adventures are endless here in Big Sky.
During the summer in Big Sky, there is nothing better than hitting the trail and exploring one (or 5!) of our 50 + hiking trails on a beautiful summer day with your family. In case you're new to the area and need some recommendations, we've picked our favorite kid friendly hikes for you and the kids!
Discover some of our favorite kid friendly hikes in Big Sky:
- Ousel Falls - The Ousel Falls Trail is Big Sky's most popular hike. Located just outside of Town Center, this well maintained trail is perfect for every generation. Follow the river to the breathtaking Ousel Falls and enjoy!
- Hummocks & Uplands Trail - Hummocks and Uplands are some of Big Sky's newest trails. Hummocks is a series of three loops through pristine forest. Uplands heads uphill and offers stunning views of Big Sky and Lone Mountain. Both are great for kids.
- Beehive Basin - Hiking into Beehive Basin is the classic Big Sky hike. It's the biggest hike on this list. You're going to do it at some point while your here, so why not bring the kids. Starting at 7,900', the Beehive Trail provides easy access into stunning alpine terrain. Follow along for just over 3 miles and you'll reach an unnamed lake. It's beautiful.
- Moose Tracks - If you're staying at Big Sky Resort's Mountain Village, a stroll down Moose Tracks is a must. The trail starts near the base of the Swift Current chair and wanders up the drainage along the babbling brook. Watch out because you might see people flying by on zip lines overhead!
- Kircher Trail - A short trail (0.6 miles!) that leads to Kircher Discovery Park offering access to picnicking, fishing, and a tree fort play structure.
All of these kid friendly hikes in Big Sky will bring a smile to your face and your kid's faces too. Looking to sweeten up your day? Stop by SugarBuzz our local candy shop and snag a few sweet treats for the hike. Check out our events calendar for all the events happening in Big Sky and make sure you check out our signature summer events like the weekly Big Sky Farmers Market or our summer concert series, Music In The Mountains every Thursday evening.
We always recommend bringing lots of water, extra layers and bear spray anytime you hit the trails. Missing supplies? Visit our local outdoor retail shops for all your hiking needs. Grizzly Outfitters, East Slope Outdoors, Gallatin Alpine Sports.
Remember that anytime you venture off the beaten path, be prepared. Take a map. Bring bear spray. Carry extra food and water. Have extra layers that keep you warm and dry in case the weather suddenly changes. Enjoy the great outdoors responsibly.