9 Non-Skiing Activities In Big Sky That Everyone Will Enjoy
If someone in your crew falls under the “can’t ski, won’t ski” category, bring them to Big Sky, Montana. There’s a lot more to do in Big Sky in the winter than just ski. That’s why this Montana mountain town is the perfect place for your next vacation.
Here are a few ideas of non skiing activities in Big Sky that everyone will enjoy:
- Yellowstone National Park - Big Sky’s closest neighbor is Yellowstone National Park. The West Entrance is open for snowmobiles and snow coach tours throughout the winter season. A winter day in YNP is a day that you will remember forever.
- Big Sky Resort Base Camp - Located at Big Sky Resort, Base Camp is the place to experience Big Sky. Zip lines, snowshoe tours, climbing walls, giant swings - are you ready for these mountain activites?
- Relax, Refresh, and Refocus - Your vacation is the perfect time to disconnect from reality. Take a day and visit one of Big Sky’s world class spas where you can get the massage that you deserve.
- Outdoor Activities - Big Sky definitely has a reputation as an outdoor paradise, but that doesn’t mean you have to go skiing. Stop by one of the local outfitters and get geared up for a day of fly fishing, fat biking, ice climbing, snowshoeing, sledding, ice skating, or snowmobiling.
- Arts & Culture - Plan your trip right and you can be here during one of Big Sky’s exciting arts and cultural events. Check out the schedules from Warren Miller Performing Arts Center and the Arts Council of Big Sky to find out when world class concerts, top notch comedians and magicians, and broadway plays are coming to town.
- Hot Springs - The Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem is a geologically active place and that means hot springs! Take a road trip to Norris or Chico to take a refreshing dip and relaxing soak in an all natural hot spring.
- Dude Ranching - Big Sky is dude ranch country. Head down to one of the many dude ranches in the area and go for a horseback ride or sleigh ride. This is the best way to experience the “Wild West.”
Sleigh Ride | Photo: Lone Mountain Ranch
- Apres Ski - Even if you aren’t a skier, you’ll enjoy après ski. What could be more fun that live music and drinks in an ideal mountain setting?
- Shopping - There are so many shops in Big Sky to explore. Whether you're looking for art galleries, retail shops, of something uniquely Montana, Big Sky's got you covered.
If you need any more inspiration for non skiing activities in Big Sky, stop by the Big Sky Visitor center (across the street from Firepit Park in Town Center) and chat to the friendly staff. This group of locals can easily point you in the right direction for anything that you want to do.
Big Sky is a growing mountain town and we’re sure that every one in your family and all of your friends will have a blast in our little corner of SW Montana.