Are you looking for a cool destination this winter? Check out Big Sky, Montana.
Big Sky is a small town that's nestled into the heart of the Madison Range of Southwest Montana. This vibrant winter playground is an outdoor lover's paradise. With world class skiing, wildlife filled national parks, and nobody is around, it's easy to see why people love it here.
Here are 10 reasons to visit Big Sky, Montana in winter:
- Easy Access - As of 2016, there are 15 destinations with non-stop flights to Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport. Big Sky is just down the road from Bozeman. It's the perfect starting point for any Montana adventure.
Yellowstone National Park - Everyone should experience Yellowstone National Park in winter at least once. It's magical to see the snow covered park on skis, snowmobiles, or snowcoaches. There's something jaw dropping about the nation's first national park in the winter.
- Biggest Skiing In America - Big Sky Resort is home to 5,800 skiable acres that includes exciting terrain for skiers and riders of all abilities. As the Biggest Skiing In America, Big Sky Resort shouldn't be missed.
- Abundant Wildlife - Wildlife can be hard to spot, but there's plenty of it in Big Sky. From Big Sky Town Center to the Lee Metcalf Wilderness, keep your eyes peeled for antelope, elk, moose, wolves, bald eagles, lions, mountain goats, big horn sheep, owls, coyotes, deer, snowshoe hares, and other animals. Learn more about wildlife in Big Sky.
Lone Mountain at Big Sky Resort | Photo by D. Lennon
- No Crowds - With no major metropolitan area anywhere close to Big Sky, there never seem to be any crowds. You won't have to wait in chairlift lines here.
- Endless Snowmobiling - To truly escape the crowds and explore the mountains surrounding Big Sky, rent a snowmobile and hit the trails. There's no better way to soak in the views on a motorized adventure up Buck Creek or into the Gallatin Range.
Lone Mountain Ranch - Lone Mountain Ranch is a historic guest ranch tucked back into the mountains of Big Sky. It's a cross country and snowshoe lovers dream destination. If you're looking for sleigh rides, guest cabins, and Montana charm be sure to stop by the Ranch.
- Stunning Scenery - Whatever direction you look you'll see wild Montana at it's finest. There are endless mountains, flowing rivers, vast forests, rocky terrain, and snow covered meadows. Bring your camera and take lots of pictures. Be sure to add #visitbigsky to anything you post on social media!
- Winter Fly Fishing - If you've never been fly fishing in winter, you need to try it. Hire a guide and see what you can catch in the Gold Medal waters of the Big Sky area.
- Winter Events - Plan your trip at the right time and you could catch some cool winter events like Big Sky Big Grass, Big Sky Dummy Jump, Ski Joring, Pond Skim, Freeski competitions, Shedhorn Ski Mo, Subaru Winterfest, or SnoBar. Discover more events at BigSkyTownCenter.com.
That's 10 reasons to visit Big Sky, Montana in winter, but there are countless other reasons to come too. Stop by Big Sky this winter and see for yourself. It might become your winter destination of choice. This place is incredible.