When you're in Big Sky, Montana, you're going to want to go outside and play.
Our mountain town is surrounded by inspiring peaks and endless adventure. We highly encourage everyone to explore Big Sky's backyard. Just beware that winter backcountry adventures in Big Sky can become addicting.
9 Reasons To Visit Yellowstone National Park In Winter
When you head into the mountains of Big Sky Country, you'll be blown away by the fresh air, stunning views, pollution-free skies, and the sound of nature. That's what our little corner of the world is all about. The entire backcountry experience is mind blowing and it's something that can be enjoy by people of all ages and all backgrounds.
Here are a few of the winter backcountry adventures in Big Sky that come highly recommended:
- Winter Hiking - There are numerous winter hiking trails that are easily accessible in Big Sky. These well traveled trails are a great way to go for a walk in the woods.
Winter Hiking | Photo: Glenniss Indreland
- Backcountry Skiing - Everyone knows about the world class skiing at Big Sky Resort, but if you want to earn some human powered turns, there are plenty of mountains to enjoy.
Photo: D. Lennon
- Ice Climbing - When the temps drop and the water freezes, it's time to get vertical and do a bit of ice climbing. There is world class climbing in our region that ice climbers are going to love.
- Snowmobiling - People travel from all over the world to ride snowmobiles in SW Montana. Whether you're heading into Yellowstone National Park or ripping around Buck Ridge, a snowmobile is a fast way to access the remote mountains.
Snowmobiles In Yellowstone National Park
- Fat Biking - If you can ride a bike, you can be a fat biker. Rent a fat bike and cruise the snowy trails of Big Sky with your friends and family.
Fat Bikes! | Photo: Lone Mountain Ranch
- Snowshoeing - Strap on a pair of snowshoes to help you float across Big Sky's deep snowpack. There are so many places to explore via snowshoes.
Winter At Moonlight Basin | Photo: Moonlight Basin
- Dog Sledding - If you have never been dog sledding in Big Sky, you need to add it to your bucket list. Riding a dog sled deep into the woods or along the river is a magical way to escape the hustle and bustle of the "real world."
Every will enjoy these winter backcountry adventures in Big Sky. These outdoor activities will get you off the beaten track. They will allow you to truly enjoy the mountains of Big Sky Country in a way that will have a positive impact on your life.
3 Things Everyone Needs To Do This Winter In Big Sky
Please remember that when the mountains near Big Sky are covered in wild snow, you absolutely must be aware of avalanches. Please read the Avalanche Forecast or take an avalanche course.
Which of these backcountry adventures in Big Sky will you try first? You'll enjoy them all because as we all know, everyday's a good day in Big Sky!
See Also: What To Do If You Get Lost In The Woods