Big Sky, Montana has a lifetime of fun things to do. It doesn’t matter if you're a long time local or you just visit Big Sky to disconnect and play in the great outdoors; there are bound to be plenty of things that are on your Big Sky Bucket List.
Make this the year that you start to tick things off of that list. As our skiing hero, Warren Miller, likes to say, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.” So no more excuses. This is the year that you need to get out there and make the most of Big Sky, Montana.
If you’re not sure where to begin, try to knock one thing off of your Big Sky Bucket List every week. Here are 52 ideas to get you started:
- Ski the Big Couloir.
- Climb to the top of Beehive Peak.
- Eat breakfast at the Inn On The Gallatin.
- Attend at least 3 events at WMPAC.
- Take an avalanche course.
- Hike to Cedar Lake.
- Try backcountry skiing in the Madison Range.
- Go ice climbing at Ousel Falls.
- Learn to cross country ski at Lone Mountain Ranch.
- Drink more coffee at Caliber Coffee.
- Upgrade your ski quiver at Big Sky’s outdoor retailers.
- Hit up the local hot springs.
- Swing the clubs at the Big Sky golf course.
- Try downhill biking on the Mountain to Meadow trail.
- Take a ski lesson.
- Rent a snowmobile and rip around Buck Ridge.
- Climb to the top of Hilgard Peak - the highest point in the Madison Range.
- Volunteer with a Big Sky non-profit.
- Take a ride in a hot air balloon.
- Stop and enjoy the après scene at Scissorbills.
- Enjoy a local brew at Beehive Brewery or Lone Peak Brewery.
- Visit the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center.
- Ride your bike in Yellowstone before the road opens to cars.
- Go backpacking in the Taylor Hilgards.
- Float the Madison River.
- Explore the Lee Metcalf Wilderness on horseback.
- Raft the Gallatin River.
Biking In Big Sky | Photo: Eric Morrison
- Party like a rock star at SnoBar.
- Ski at Bridger Bowl.
- Para-glide off of Tick Ridge.
- Fly fish in an alpine lake.
- Go on a date night at Michelangelo’s.
- Try paddle boarding on Hebgen Lake.
- Buy a National Parks pass and use it to explore Yellowstone.
- Go on a Montana road trip to the small Mom and Pop ski resorts.
- Drive Beartooth Pass.
- Run the Rut.
- Shop local at the Big Sky Farmer’s Market.
- Go on a picnic in Beehive Basin.
- Watch ski joring at 320 Ranch.
- Buy your very own piece of Big Sky Real Estate.
- Hire a inbounds guide to show you around Big Sky Resort.
- Explore Big Sky history at Crail Ranch.
- Enjoy a locally made smoothie atSteele Pressed Juice.
- Go for a zip line adventure.
- Hike to the summit of Lone Mountain.
Big Sky PBR | Outlaw Partners
- Start fat biking the local bike trails.
- Play more frisbee golf.
- Buy a Golden Buckle Ticket For the PBR.
- Come by the Big Sky Visitor Center and say hi!
How many of these things can you do this year? It’s time to get busy! We have a good feeling that 2020 is going to be the best year ever. See you out and about.
PS - Whenever you tick something off of your Big Sky Bucket List, tag it on social media with #bigskybucketlist and #visitbigsky.