It's only October, but winter seems to be here already. Take a look up at the high country and you'll see a healthy blanket of snow covering the peaks. Tune in to social media and it looks like mid-winter already!
Ski season is almost here. Big Sky Resort
starts spinning lifts on Thanksgiving Day aka Thursday, November 24, 2016. It's time to start thinking about skiing. During this slower shoulder season, it's the ideal time to get in shape for ski season
, but it's also time to make sure you have everything you need to enjoy a day on the slopes.
Before you hit the slopes for the 2016/2017 winter, here are 13 things you need to buy before ski season:
- Lift Pass - You can't ride the lifts at Big Sky or access the trails at Lone Mountain Ranch without a ski pass.
- Outerwear - Stay dry with waterproof jackets and pants.
- Warm Layers - It gets cold in Big Sky, make sure you have the necessary layers to keep you warm when the temperatures drop.
- Ski Helmet - Please keep you noggin safe this winter. Wear a helmet.
- Goggles - Protect your eyes from the sun and snow with a good pair of goggles or sunglasses.
- Gloves - You can't do much when your hands are ice cubes. Invest in a solid pair of warm and waterproof gloves.
- Ski Socks - Ski socks are essential for warm toes.
- Sunscreen - Apply sunscreen everyday at regular intervals.
- Ski/Snowboard Setup - Boots, Bindings, Board/Skis, Poles - Get a new setup or add to your quiver.
- Avalanche Gear - If you want to ski the Big Couloir or you plan to venture into the backcountry you absolutely must have this equipment.
- Ski Tuning Equipment - A proper ski tune will boost your gear's performance. Learn to tune and keep your gear in tip-top shape.
- Electronics - GoPro, Walkie Talkies, Camera - Electronics are great to have on the mountain. Share your mountain adventures with us on social with #visitbigsky.
- Health Insurance - It's totally possible that you could get hurt this winter. Please have health insurance.
Now of course if you have your gear from last year, you're already good to go. But if you need an upgrade or you're looking for the latest and greatest gear, now is the best time to buy before the shops sell out.
Big Sky is lucky to have numerous outdoor stores where you can stop in and buy the things you need before ski season. Be sure to shop local at:
What else do you need to buy before ski season? Make a list and get the gear you need. These shops carry all the top brands. Stop by and get the hottest gear from Patagonia, Mammut, Icelantic, Smith Optics, Dynafit, Marker, Volkl, Black Diamond, Suunto, Rossignol, ABS, Lange, Smartwool, HydroFlask, Scarpa, DPS, and so many other high quality brands.
Get the gear you need so that the 2016/2017 winter season is the best season ever.