Beautiful Montana | Photo Credit: Lone Peak Outfitters
What's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear Big Sky, Montana? If you're like many people, you probably immediately picture Lone Mountain covered in a blanket of white snow, zero lift lines, and ski runs all to yourself. Winter in Big Sky often gets all the credit, but that's okay, because summer is Big Sky's Best Kept Secret.
Summer in Big Sky is absolutely awesome. It's not too hot, the days are long, and the great outdoors hosts a lifetime of fun activities. Add in the fact that it feels like you have the entire place to yourself and you have the perfect summer destination.
Let's take a look at some of our favorite things to do in Big Sky during the summer:
- Float in an inner tube down the lazy Madison river
- Go rock climbing in Gallatin Canyon
- Play a round of golf
- Listen to live music at the free summer concert series - Music In The Mountains
- Climb to the summit of Lone Mountain
- Ride mountain bikes on the Mountain To Meadow Trail
- Enjoy a craft beer at Beehive Brewery or Lone Peak Brewery
- Play a game a softball or frisbee golf with good friends
- Fly fish on the Gallatin, Madison, Yellowstone, or Jefferson
- Mingle with vendors and do some shopping for fresh veggies at the Big Sky Farmers Market
- Hike into Beehive Basin
- Explore Yellowstone National Park
- Soak in a natural hot springs
- Backpack and camp at Summit Lake
- Trail run from North Fork to Spanish Creek across the Spanish Peaks
- Zip line at Big Sky Resort
- Walk the dogs to Ousel Falls
- Go whitewater rafting on the Gallatin River
- Ride a horse through the Taylor Hilgards
Horseback Riding | Photo Credit: Lone Mountain Ranch
Every summer our bucket list gets longer, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It means we never grow tired of living here - and that most definitely means you won't ever get tired of visiting!
Summer really kicks off this month too. The temps are getting warmer. Big Sky resort opened for their summer season. The Big Sky Farmers Market begins the season at the end of June. The hiking trails are dry. The wildflowers are in bloom. The wildlife is out and about. The golfing is superb. Are you starting to see why summer is Big Sky's best kept secret?
Whitewater Rafting | Photo Credit: Montana Whitewater
It's literally a mountain paradise around here. We love it, and we know you will too. Come for a visit and see why we are proud to call this mountain town home.