Belonging in Big Sky
A Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging (deib) Initiative
Belonging in Big Sky is a community-wide diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging (DEIB) initiative supporting the diverse communities that live and work in Big Sky through funding, community education, and events.
Funding to enhance community services and programming
Education regarding the ‘what, why & how’ of DEIB work
Events that reflect & celebrate the diversity of Big Sky
To create a sense of belonging so that, whether here for a day or a lifetime, everyone in our community feels welcomed, valued, respected, and safe.
Big Sky is a place of connection… with history, the landscape, and each other. Belonging in Big Sky aims to honor and enhance these connections.
Through a systems-based, genuine, forward-thinking approach, Belonging in Big Sky will help maintain a community environment that promotes respect and understanding for the many facets of diversity, accessibility, and individual identity.
This will help ensure the prosperity and sense of belonging for ALL members of this community now, and for generations to come.
Because all people deserve fairness, respect, access, support, safety, opportunity, and a sense of belonging in our community.
After an initial needs assessment surveying 50 individuals from diverse backgrounds that live and work in Big Sky, it became clear there were needs, gaps in support, and a lack of understanding & data that needed to be addressed.
DEIB work allows us to do what’s right for people and what’s good for our community at the same time! Communities, organizations, and businesses that invest in DEIB work have a proven advantage over those who don’t.
The world is changing fast… “The expectations of business to drive societal change and environmental change has never been higher,” -Michele Parmelee, Deloitte Global deputy CEO
Current Efforts Include:
- Partnership between 30+ area organizations around a data collection and sharing project with sciGaia – Wellbeing Analytics to inform future actions, efforts, and funding
- Partnership with City of Bozeman & Belonging in Bozeman Equity & Inclusion Plan
- Chamber created new role and hired a workforce development coordinator
- Community education DEIB workshops (launch Spring ‘23)
- DEIB resource guide and tool-kit for organizations to advance DEIB goals
- Partnership with Be Well Big Sky for accessible behavioral health resources
- Increased funding support from local community foundations
- Development support for Bienvenidos & Thrive Big Sky School/Family Liaison Program
- Increased sports & rec programming to help reduce barriers to entry
- Increased cultural event programming to celebrate and reflect the diversity of Big Sky
- Research & resources highlighting Indigenous history of greater Big Sky area
- Ongoing collection of testimonials and feedback
Big Sky Chamber of Commerce hosted a 3-part DEIB workshop with MTREP.
DEIB committee & Hale Creative Consulting, monthly meetings, created framework.
Needs assessment, partnership building, building out a strategic plan.
Partnerships, program building, begin sciGaia data project, community engagement.
Public launch, community engagement, implementation of programming
- DEIB Definitions
- Belonging Tool Kit
- Big Sky Resource Guide
- Centro de Recursos – Big Sky Food Bank
- Resource Center – Big Sky Food Bank
- Bienvenidos a Gallatin Valley (bienvenidosgv.org)
- Be Well Big Sky, Behavioral Health Resources
- Wellness In Action (bigskywia.org)
- Spanish Parent Liaison Program (Bozeman)
- Thrive Child Advancement Project (CAP) Mentoring (Big Sky)
- Montana Language Services (mtlanguageservices.com)
- World Language Initiative, BELLA English Language Learning Program (wlimt.org)
- Montana Immigrant Justice Alliance (mijamt.org)
- Proyecto Salud, Healthcare resources & programming (proyectosalud.net)
- MontanaLawHelp.org, Free legal info, advice, and low-cost representation
- Pride Foundation
- Empower MT | Creating a more just and inclusive society
- Eagle Mount Bozeman, Adaptive recreation & sport opportunities
- BASE – Big Sky Community Organization (bsco.org)
- Crosscut Lightning Creek Free Outdoor Skills Camp
- Jack Creek Preserve Foundation Summer Outdoor Skills Camp
- The Free Soccer Initiative – Montana Surf Soccer Club (Bozeman)
- Big Sky Futbol Club (bigskyfc.org)
- Volunteer Big Sky
- BigSky_BELLA AP Recruitment
Language Access resources
Be Well Big Sky, Behavioral Health Resource Guide
Indigenous History of Big Sky
In the News